Lets Make You Feel Uncomfortable

Hes my extremely cringe worthy english speech

All our lives we are told that security is a great thing. And I am not disagreeing with that. But we are also told that safety is extremely important. So what really is the difference between safety and security?

Good morning Ladies and gentlemen and miss griffin

Safety is the condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk, or injury. So more along the lines of wellbeing and welfare. The act of feeling safe. Whilst security is more supplied by someone or something else. So surveillance, police acts and set boundaries.

Picture this, security is a seatbelt and safety is whether or not the person in the car seat chooses to use the seat belt properly or at all. You can never really have too much safety, because it’s all just a matter of right and wrong. But the can be some circumstances where there is too much security.

Have you ever felt like you privacy has been invaded or that you feel like your mum has wrapped you in bubble wrap, then you know exactly what I mean.

Having security is a good thing, but sometimes good things can go overboard and get carried away. The definition of security the state of being free from danger or threat. When I hear this definition I immediately think of boundaries and laws.

Say if in 50 years the government decides that the outside world is too dangerous and build sky scraping walls around all the main towns and cities.

Now this is just an extreme example of things that are already happening. Certain things are not put on our news feeds because it is deemed inappropriate or scary.

The government block these things out to make it seem like the world is running smoothly and that there is nothing of which to be afraid.

Every day things are taken off our social media feeds and out of news reader scripts. This is the same equipment and software used to block Australians for downloading, viewing and posting pirated material.

They say you cannot remove videos or pictures from the internet once they are on there but the government proves otherwise by constantly blocking us from seeing the scary reality that is our world and this is just one example of an excessive and unnecessary security.

Internet censorship is the control or suppression of what can be accessed, published, or viewed on the Internet. It may be carried out by governments or by private organizations at the behest of government, regulators, or on their own initiative.

Doesn’t that say a lot? Control, suppression these are confronting words. These confronting words appear in our minds when too much security is in place. We feel caged.

As a wise person once said, how can one build a ship without knowing how rough the ocean is? How can we prepare ourselves for the real world when we have been restricted and suppressed to the point where we have no idea of the standard of craziness and terror and sick minded people that are actually in our world?

Another type of security is surveillance. And excessive amounts of surveillance can be gut-wrenching and kind of disgusting at the same time. With the amount of high tech cameras, microphones and surveillance systems in our reach today is really quite scary.

What if you or someone you care for, was being watched whilst getting dressed in a changing room. You cringe now, but what if I told you that that many stores such as Levi’s, Topshop, David Jones, small businesses ECT already have their dressing rooms surveyed.

Typically if the person or more or less child is under 18 it would be considered child pornography would it not? According to Victorian laws possessing child pornography is a maximum 5 years in jail.

Don’t believe me that these cameras are legal?

This is a statement confirming the law on these sneaky security cameras posted in the law library on legalmatch.com

“As a theft prevention measure, many retail stores use cameras to monitor fitting rooms. This practice is on the rise, due to improved technology and the availability of smaller and less expensive cameras.  Similarly, two-way mirrors are also used for this purpose in some stores”

Herse something that will make you uncomfortable, who has been to America. Either on holiday a stopover or to live. Alright, who went shopping whilst they were there?

36 out 50 states in America have deemed it legal, to enforce two way mirrors and hidden or exposed security cameras as theft prevention.

Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, Nevada new jersey, new York, Tennessee, west Virginia and Washington just to name a few.

I have chosen not to name the states and cities in Australia who encourage this form of surveillance. A personal choice and I choice I find necessary.

Who knows what is being done with recorded footage?

Who is watching it? Who has access to it? What do they do with these videos?

There are endless examples I could name of what could be done with the recorded footage but for the reason of us being in a school environment I shall leave that up to you to figure out.

But technically these “security cameras” are totally legal. Retail stores are allowed to place as many security cameras around there store as theft prevention, even if that means cameras surveying dressing rooms. All in the name of security.

I feel that if the government really wanted to stop things like shoplifting and sexual assault in dressing rooms then they should enforce harsher laws and consequences on these criminals instead of implementing extreme cases of security and surveillance.

The point I am trying to make is that we really should value safety a lot higher than security. That we need to be properly made aware of how hectic our world really is and that security and safety does not have to mean invasion of privacy. Too much of a good thing can become overpowering, suppressing and on occasions invasive.so let’s keep our security, surveillance and restrictions at a comfortable, safe level, before things get out of hand

Thankyou.